Here we are, the last day of 2012, and boy, am I glad to see this year end! It was not the best of years for me. I was handed a huge bag of sour lemons, but fortunately, I have learned to make sweet lemonade!
They say everything happens for a reason, right? When I was first hit with my curveball, I had a really hard time finding that reason. The situation was completely unfair to me, I did not do anything to deserve it, and I was left hurt, angry and, most of all, confused. However, as time marched on, I began to realize that it didn’t matter whether or not I deserved it and whether or not I thought it was fair. The fact was, it happened, I couldn’t change it (God knows I tried) and so, I had to deal with it. With this realization, came the understanding of what the reasons may be and one of the big reasons I discovered was that there are still a lot of things I have to learn about myself. If I wasn’t thrown this curveball, I never would have given myself the opportunity to do all of the growing, learning and maturing that I have been able to do over the past six months. And, I should tell you, this blog has played a huge part in my learning process and has helped me pick up and move on with my life by giving me a new sense of direction at a time when I was feeling lost. So thank you to all who read and support A Curiously Chic Life!
Most people start their new year with resolutions. I, however, feel as though I can’t begin a new year without acknowledging all of the things that I learned in 2012 because those things are going to shape my resolutions and New Year’s goals. So, here is my list of 12 things I learned in 2012…
- I am a much stronger person than I have ever given myself credit for.
- I am independent.
- I have a great deal of ambition.
- I have been blessed with many talents, some of which I’m still discovering.
- I have more courage and confidence than I have ever given myself credit for.
- I am finding it more and more important to continually create.
- I have a loving family who supports me no matter what and has helped shape the person I am today.
- I have an amazing group of friends that I am thankful for everyday, because without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today (I’d still be face down in the dirt, crying most likely… So thank you to all of my friends, for pulling me up, brushing me off, and walking with me down this unknown and exciting path!)
- It does not do to dwell on the past and the things you cannot control or change. It will only make things worse, not better.
- Everything happens for a reason and that reason is always because there is something so much better in store. “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis
- Ladies, you don’t need a man to make you happy. Find out who you are, what you want, do what makes you happy, and you will be even happier than you ever were with any man.
- Keep moving, no matter what. Even when you think you will forever have “down” days, keep moving, stay focused on you, and turn to the people who love you for support, because slowly the “ups” will begin to equal the “downs,” then the “ups” will outweigh the “downs,” and one day, you have only “ups.”
So, to 2013…May it be a year of “ups,” a year of new experiences and dreams, and a year of continual learning and growing! Happy New Year, everyone!
Stay Curiously Chic! xo…Alane
Featured image via: http://blog.freepeople.com/2012/01/monday-quote-118/